Thursday 28 July 2011

Battle of the Bugs

Spiders in the garage, mites on my plumerias, ants in the lanai, and fire ants in the pool.  When will it end?  My empty nest is filling up with bugs and it’s all I can do to keep them out!


Sprayed with Raid in garage, several days later swept down the webs.  Now they're back again.  Picked up some yellow sticky traps for windows.  Will install this weekend to see if they work.


Can't swim in my pool at night -that’s when the fishing or raft spiders come out from where ever they live and monopolize the surface of my pool.  The occasional snake may venture into the pool at night but "I’m not asnade of frakes, but I am aspade of fiders.” (Say that one out loud!) 


A coarse spray from the hose has controlled the spider mites on the plants, for now, so I am left to deal with the ants.  I was actually getting bit by the fire ants while swimming.  I watched in utter surprise as they moseyed along submerged under a raft. Apparently, if they fall into the pool they don't drown!   Now we have a problem!


So off to the pool store to see about some Jack’s Magic Surface cleaner.  The guy at the store raved about it but said it won’t kill live ants in the water, but might help with the spiders by eliminating their food sources. So back out with a bug spray and sprayed around the hot tub and created a perimeter around the outside of the pool cage. 

Sat and waited.


Still activity in and around the potted plumerias.  Watched for 30 minutes.  Think that's where the problem is.  Put some different bug granules in the pots. Hope I don't kill my plants! 

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment